Saturday, October 20, 2007

My Friend, Cashew

I have recently discovered, through various culinary experiments, just how creamy a cashew is once its met up with a food processor (I have also become addicted to citrus flavored Synergy Kombucha, but that's another story). It has become my go-to nut, second maybe to pine nuts. It becomes the base for a creamy sandwich spread that I have not yet named but its addicting and so healthy. No added sugars, just the food as nature intended. But its so very yummy that I thought I would share.

Creamy Cashew Spread

(always use organic ingredients whenever possible.
They taste better and are much better for a healthy you
and the environment)

2 cloves garlic
1/4 of medium Anaheim pepper

chop finely in Cuisinart or other food processor.

add 1/2 small red bell pepper
small handful of fresh mint
1 handful of fresh parsley

combine again.

remove paste and set aside

add 1 cup of RAW cashew pieces and process until "meaty"
add 1/2 avocado, and while blending,
add 1.5 T of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 T rice vinegar
a good pinch of Celtic Sea salt. Blend until it begins to look smooth like a chunky pesto.
Stop and add in herb mixture. Pulse to combine smoothly. May take 30-45 sec.



Usually I spread this on homemade flax crackers or an Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain tortilla and top with sweet onion, sultana raisins, julienned sweet bell pepper, a thinly sliced mound of Napa cabbage and grated carrot. Yum! Enjoy!

No comments: